EMSB set for Virtual Parents Conference May 29
The English Montreal School Board Parents Committee will present a virtual conference on Sunday, May 29 (9 am to 3 pm). Early bird registration is free and concludes on Monday, May 14 after which there will be a $10 fee.
Mental Health will be the focus of the opening session, moderated by Virgin Radio afternoon show host and mental health advocate Lee Haberkorn. The panelists will be Dr. Karl Looper, Psychiatrist-in-Chief at the Jewish General Hospital; Dr. Rachel Kronick, child and adolescent psychiatrist at the JGH; Dr. Despina Vassilou, EMSB psychologist and coordinator of the Mental Health Resource Centre; and Bryana Catedral-Sansalone, a Secondary V student at Lester B. Pearson High School in Montreal North. The precise theme will be Youth Mental Health: Ongoing Pandemic considerations, including: a trauma perspective; impacting factors; and a developmental approach.
“Children and teens face so many issues and parents often struggle with how best to help their children,” said Conference Chair and EMSB Parent Commissioner Daniel Tatone. “That’s why our Parents Committee is holding this conference.”
A series of workshops for parents will be held on a variety of issues pertaining to children and teens.
Some of the workshops include:
- The Five Faces of Bullying – with Alain Pelletier
- Understanding Gender Identity
- “We don’t talk about Brunnoe” : tips and tricks for developing spelling skills
- What’s on the Menu (Nutrition)
- Parenting Your Child & Adolescent with Screen Addiction
- Virtual Library Resources: Reading for Fun & Reading for Research
- Ready, Set, Start! – Understanding My Pre-Schooler
- Storytelling Through Photography.
- L’aventure du français en famille!
- Spring Into Summer Meals (AEVS)
- DEAL – A Different Way of Learning
- The What, Who, Why & How of Giftedness
- Helping Children with Reading Difficulties
- Understanding Behavior & Attachment (PreK to Grade 3)
- Assistive Technology to Support Literacy
- LEARN – Online Tutoring
Last year, the Parent Conference was a big success, with over 300 people in attendance and great reviews.
To register please go to www.emsbparents.ca, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Brigida Sellato 514-483-7200 ext. 7242.
Please share with other parents (entry not exclusive to EMSB parents)
About the English Montreal School Board
With a youth and adult sector population of more than 35,000 students, the English Montreal School Board (EMSB) is the largest English public school board in Quebec. Established on July 1, 1998, when the province created new boards along linguistic lines, the EMSB network consists of 77 schools and centres. For more details, visit the EMSB website at www.emsb.qc.ca.